The Agriculture Engineering Department was founded in the mid-1950s with the primary objective of reclaiming and cultivating unproductive land.
Since its inception, the Agriculture Engineering Department has successfully cultivated thousands of hectares of land. This achievement not only enabled the country to attain self-sufficiency in food crop production but also contributed significantly to the national economy by depositing millions of rupees into the government treasury and enhancing the quality of life for farmers.
Since its inception in the mid-1950s, the Agriculture Engineering Department has successfully cultivated thousands of hectares of previously unused land. This not only bolstered the nation’s self-sufficiency in food production but also significantly contributed to the national Gross National Product (GNP) by depositing millions of rupees into the government treasury. Furthermore, it has played a pivotal role in improving the socioeconomic conditions of farmers and rural communities in the province.
In 1956, the Agriculture Engineering wing initially established only two workshops in Khairpur and Tandojam to meet the needs of the time. However, following the devolution of the West Pakistan Agricultural Development Council (WPADC) in the early 1970s, ADC workshops in Sukkur, Ghotki, and Nareja, along with their staff, were integrated into the Agriculture Engineering wing of the Agriculture Department.
Recognizing the need to expand its reach and meet the growing demands, additional workshops were established in the Larkano and Thatta Districts during the early 1970s. These efforts were further strengthened by the establishment of new sub-workshops and field workshops across the province over time.
Today, the Agriculture Engineering Wing, restructured for greater efficiency, is headquartered in Hyderabad, under the leadership of the Director General of Agriculture Engineering for Sindh. Additionally, two Additional Directorate Generals have been established, one in Hyderabad and one in Sukkur, to oversee operations in lower and upper Sindh, respectively.